Tuesday 8 February 2011

Reflective Statement

TASK:

Write a 200- 300  word reflective statement that sums up what you feel you have learnt during this unit and how well you think you have done on your blog – evaluate your own blog – its strengths and weaknesses. 

Criteria:

Research: Systematic identification and investigation of appropriate sources
Analysis: Examination and interpretation of resources
Subject knowledge:Understanding and application of subject knowledge and underlying principles
Experimentation: Problem solving, risk taking, experimentation and testing of ideas and materials in the realisation of concepts.

Arriving in London I found the Rough Guide project helpful in allowing me to explore new sights/destinations. I have learnt that research is vital in ensuring an informative project and have learnt the relevance of designers in inspiring new techniques and trends. Furthermore, if I analyse and reflect upon my work as I go along then I am able to make quicker, more efficient decisions. I have also learnt the importance of time management and documentation and that drawing is essential in all projects. I think the workshops and inductions have been helpful in showing me what facilities Chelsea has to offer, thus where I can broaden my skills. The winding and wrapping workshop has also been useful in showing me how to use colour to correctly interpret my drawings.
Blogging is a personal way to share all of my ideas and processes, and although I started quite slowly I feel I have thrown myself into creating an interesting archive of galleries and exhibitions that I have seen over the past few months. I have managed to organise myself and schedule time to write up all of my winter study tasks/visits and hope to stay on top of it. I think I have successfully met the criteria, researching all of the exhibitions, analysing artist’s works and reflecting upon whether I think they were good/bad. I follow many blogs (Dazeddigital, fashiontoast, lefashionimage, Jak&Jil, Spoton: Textiles…) and have realised that the simplistic ones are the most effective. I am most fond of Scott Schuman’s blog; The Sartorialist because he displays his works in a clear, concise way with no flashing backgrounds or soundtracks, directing the viewer to his effortlessly, beautiful photographs. I have chosen a similar, readable layout allowing my text/images to speak for themselves. I realise I often babble thus I aim to produce more succinct posts in the future. I have also started displaying images of my drawings/college work thus portraying my interests, inspirations and influences. I hope to use my blog as a showcase for expanding my artist repertoire, displaying an exciting and engaging, encyclopaedia of images, designers and popular culture and I hope by doing this I will illustrate what drives me individually and creatively.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment