Wednesday 2 February 2011

TECHNICAL BLOCKS 3 & 4

I then decided to change my collection in order to give me a new colour palette and different objects to work from. I know it would have formed a cohesive collection if I had used the same objects as before however I felt they had run their course and wanted a new source of inspiration. I first picked a small suitcase that I had and began filling it with items that one would need if they were to go travelling or exploring; sunglasses, maps, rope, passport, money, phone, flip-flops, magnifying glass etc. However, when it came to drawing this collection I found it quite difficult as they all had different properties and textures and thus translated quite badly onto paper.
I found that I was most interested in the colourful maps in the suitcase, so I collected a bunch of A-Z's with spiral ringbinders and distressed binds to draw. I twisted them into interesting shapes and emphasized their colourful pages, providing me with a vibrant, primary colour palette that would allow me to proceed into print and weave.

 

TECHNICAL BLOCK 3: PRINT

We began the block with a week of digital printing which involved an intense course of Adobe Photoshop. Having used Adobe before I thought I was pretty good at it, however, at the end of the first day I realised how wrong I was. After scanning in a couple of photos to work from I manipulated and used layers to create two designs that would later be printed onto silk scarves. I really enjoyed digital print as it allowed me to enhance my drawing skills and make my designs come to life.

(pics to come)

The second week of print began with using Adobe to create a flattened black and white image that could be transferred onto a screen for screen printing. Once we designed an image we then exposed our screen and using different pigments, highlighters and binders printed our images onto a mixture of cotton, silk and silk viscose. I loved dyeing the fabrics in the dye vat and using devore to burn my image through revealing one colour on the silk and another on the viscose. I could easily see myself doing print as I feel my drawings lend themselves well to the technical block, but I feel I would like to use stitch or knit alongside it.

Pink Illuminating dye on Purple dyed silk
 
 
 Pink and Purple dye devore on Silk Viscose

TECHNICAL BLOCK 4: WEAVE

After already enjoying the first 3 blocks I tried to rule out weave in my head. The idea didn't thrill me however as soon as I started I was soon caught up in the repetitive and compelling 'YARN, CHANGE, BEAT' rhythm. I loved painting the warps and thus controlling the exact colours that I used. It is quite a slow process as each pattern has a special code and sequence to follow meaning that different shafts have to be lifted or lowered each time. It was very satisfying seeing your weave develop and knowing that each line was specifically designed and thought of and that you were making a fabric from scratch. 
    I did feel it was quite restricting using the manual weave machines as once I had learnt the techniques I found that it wasn't as challenging as I would have liked. However, after seeing a 3rd years fashion garment I saw the potential of weave and how easily it could be translated into fashion or interiors. Digital weave also looked exciting as you can create a haven of wonderful patterns and colours by simply programming in one of your designs. There is also the option of printing an image onto the warps which I thought would be right up my street!


experimenting with plastics and bin liners
black and white warp with hand painted warps

 painting the warps
Adding wire and lycra to give shape to my sample
16 shaft loom - trickier and definitely more time consuming but beaaaautiful once finished!

Being ridiculously indecisive I now have the dilemma of deciding which block to choose. After enjoying all of them I know I have a tough decision to make but hopefully with the help of my new project 'TRANSITION' I can narrow down my choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment